Community outreach program draws volunteers, chance to do good

Maria Cieslarczyk, Perspective Editor

Lancers, are you ready to get involved in community service?

This year marks the second year that Lake Park’s activities department is organizing Make A Difference Day, a school-wide spirit day that gives back to neighboring charities and groups. The event is scheduled for Oct. 1, a Saturday. All are welcome.

According to Activities Director Dominic Manola, event sponsor, the idea for the event sprang from the “simple idea of getting as many Lancers to give back to the community as possible.”

“(The event is) representative of who we are as a school and as human beings,” Manola said.

So far, 540 students have volunteered to attend. Assistant Activities Director Lauren Gorey, event sponsor, said the event was a means by which volunteers could interact with the greater Roselle and surrounding community, in addition to being active in the school community.

“It is a good opportunity to not only give back to the community, but to get to know other people,” Gorey said. “It emphasizes the importance of charity, and also because the community does so much for Lake Park.”

Some of the recipients of the day’s events include Feed My Starving Children, Phil’s Friends, nursing homes, community food and goods drives. Students will also be writing letters to troops and helping clean up the school grounds.

“There is definitely enough work for everyone to be involved,” Gorey said.