School hosts second annual Make a Difference Day

Students+painting+boxes+for+the+cancer+kids+

Katarzyna Pirog

Students painting boxes for the cancer kids

Maria Cieslarczyk, Perspective Editor

Lake Park hosted its second annual Make A Difference Day on Oct 1. Nearly 650 students, staff, and BOE volunteered to participate, helping out with various outreach programs to give back to the community.
Although the rain was coming down heavily, nothing could stop the Lancers from being a part of this eventful day. Outdoor activities included cleaning at Turner Pond and Busse Woods, and helping runners for Oktoberfest at Usher Park. Participants of Lake Park’s girls’ volleyball team, class council, and Future Medical Professionals were also involved with the hard work.
At Habitat for Humanity, a nonprofit housing organization in Tanglewood, paint was still being mixed and spread on walls by various clubs. Inheritage club was only one of the Lake Park groups cleaning up trash, planting, and painting the building for the community.
“Basically, just help one another and give a hand to those that need help,” Inheritage club participant Alicia Walker said.
Throughout the whole day, there was a definite positive atmosphere. At Victory Centre Senior Homes Supportive Living in Bartlett, Lake Park’s student council spent time with seniors playing Bingo. Apart from treats and prizes, students had the chance to talk with and reminisce with seniors, with much laughter.
“[This day] is important because it shows you care about your community and giving back,” student Alyssa Anderson said when asked why this day matters.
Student council member Serena Patel agrees. “You get an opportunity to help out with many good causes,” she said.
School spirit was further celebrated at Phil’s Friends, a charity that makes care packages for cancer patients. Every time the bell rang, it symbolized another care package was finished and ready to be sent off. Cheers from volunteers could be heard loud and clear.
Lancer Hero, a club where students can spend time with the Pathways students, had a great time helping out. The Pathways kids decorated and colored the package boxes while Lancer Hero participants helped by also decorating or putting the supplies into the package.
“It helps kids with cancer to feel better. It’s very fun to bring happiness to people,” Pathways student Justin Lajka said.
Make A Difference Day was an overall success, as students from extracurricular clubs, sports teams, and staff returned to West Campus to rewards of ice-cream and school pride.
Every person who participated encouraged others to get involved, whether it be for this specific day or even for free time. Excitement for the next Make A Difference Day is already being showed, as students and staff continue to share their good