Thirty-two scholarships open to graduating seniors

Jacob Ballmaier, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again. Days are becoming longer, the weather is warming, and Lake Park seniors are looking forward to colleges and careers. Of course, they probably aren’t looking forward to the costs of college.

According to Forbes, the national average cost of a four-year public college is about $28,000 per year and $59,000 per year for a four-year private college. The price has steadily increased for decades due to inflation and show no signs of slowing down.

Thankfully, the Lake Park Education Foundation is offering 32 scholarships to graduating Lake Park seniors to help pay for these costs. Each scholarship is worth $250 to $1,500, totaling more than $23,000. Most of them have the same basic requirements of filling out a general application and writing a scholarship-specific essay. A few have more unique requirements, ranging from enrollment at College of DuPage to being a member of the Lake Park Tennis Team.

“These scholarships look for a variety of factors,” said Mr. Joseph Ziemba, counselor at Lake Park West Campus. “They give students better opportunities to receive a scholarship. Applying can be quite a bit of work, but it can make a big difference in paying for college.”

Senior Sean Griffin understands that difference.

“I’ve already applied for a lot of scholarships, and the Lake Park ones give me another way to generate the funds I need to pay for college. College is expensive, but there’s a large return on my investment.”

It is important for students to start looking at financial aid early, but it is never too late. Many scholarships are offered throughout the year, and they are awarded to students from various backgrounds.

“Students should stop into our offices for more college and financial aid resources,” said Ziemba. “We counselors are here to help.”

Scholarship applications are due to the Career Center by March 9, and by February 24 for students applying for the Scott Bradley Memorial Scholarship. More information can be found on the Lake Park website under the Educational Foundation tab.

1 Comment

One Response to “Thirty-two scholarships open to graduating seniors”

1. Auli Marks on March 22nd, 2017 4:32 am

Hello Sir/Madam,
    Your blog is really good. If anyone is interested in International contest for students then, here is “Ayn Rand Fountainhead Contest” which is available for 11th or 12th-grade students worldwide except where void or prohibited by law.
    Contest Deadline: April 26, 2017
    Applicants can get more information about the contest through the given link: http://usascholarships.com/ayn-rand-fountainhead-contest/

[Reply]

*