Young athlete population in Boys Track team

Antoinette Lobello, Perspective Editor

With the boy’s track team transitioning to a younger lineup, the Lancers have seen some challenges so far.

Racing, like any other sport, requires experience in order to achieve results, and while the team has the heart, according to coaches, there’s bound to be a learning curve.

“This season has been a little more challenging because we have such a young team,” said Head Coach Jay Ivory in an email interview. “We have athletes that are brand new to track and field, so it is taking time to get them adjusted to the way we do things.”

However, the coaching staff has previous members of the team who are professionals in track and field who come back to help.

“We have some great alumni (Zach Ziemek, Scott Filip, Marcus Jegede,Kyle Brown, Tim Ehrhardt, Dylan Scheirich, Austin Lynch) who come back from time to time and they truly inspire our athletes,” Ivory said. “Those guys are competing at the College and Olympic levels now, and our kids get to see them and talk to them. They understand the hard work and dedication that it takes to be successful.”

Ivory has goals for the current team.

“We want to come to practice and work hard every day so that we can improve,” he said. “We want to have fun, and we want to be competitors. We also want our athletes to be good people and students…not just good athletes.”

Before the athletes go out Ivory gives them advice.

“I just tell them to ‘Relax and do what you have been doing in practice,’” said Ivory. “We work hard in practice so that the meets seem easier. I want them to compete until the last throw, the last jump, or until they cross the finish line.”

Ivory has an eye towards next year, even as he looks at the end of this season.

“We expect to compete and challenge for Conference, Sectional and State titles this year,” said Ivory. “We have some returning state qualifiers that we are looking to build around.”

Today the team will be competing at the Fenton 39th Annual Ostberg Invite at 4:30.