Lake Park Boys Tennis leads off season with big wins record

Claudia Sandine, Staff Editor

Tennis team’s goal this season: qualify for state.

Starting the beginning of April, the Lake Park Boys Tennis Team has had an impressive record so far. As of April 13, they are 5-1 with a big win over Waubonsie Valley and Wheaton Warrenville South in their recent conference matches. In addition, they won their first quad of the year, and had a strong second place finish at the Lake Park Invite on April 8.

The tennis team started pre-season workouts in January in order to keep the players in shape for the coming season. Once the season began, they scheduled practice five to seven days a week.

“We lost a lot of very good seniors last year, so the preseason outlook wasn’t that great for us this year,” said tennis captain Miles DeWaele. “However, we beat two conference teams already, both of which we lost to last year.  

“Call us the comeback kids, because this year LP is taking home the gold!” he said.

This year the team is made up of a strong group of seniors, including  Miles DeWaele, Nick Sapic, Saahil Patel, Fareed Nizamuddin, Umair Faizuddin, Jack O’Brien, Aaron Sabal, James Sarubbi, Sameer Pardiwala, and Glenn Gonzalez. Other key contributors to the tennis team’s success thus far are Andy Wojtaszek, Alex Huang, Alek Giecewicz, Nico Giron, Shaan Amin, and Tabshir Rizvi.

Many of the players lead the team with impressive victories both in singles and doubles matches.

Recently, DeWaele won first singles in his match. Also, they had a win from their first doubles team Nick Sapic and Aayush Patel, a win from Tyler Ferengel at singles, and a comeback win at second doubles by Umair Faizuddin and Will Belmonte.

Playing tennis for a lot of the players is not just a sport, but a friendly community with an exhilarating atmosphere.

“I love playing a game that I love with my closest friends,” DeWaele said. “It’s an experience that you can’t beat.”

The coaches, captains, and players are very excited for the rest of the season and hope to keep their momentum going.

“It is very enjoyable to work with players like this who are committed to giving their best effort on a daily basis,” said tennis coach Timothy Martin. “Their hard work in practice has allowed us to get off to a great start this year! Our three captains, Nick Sapic, Miles DeWaele, and Aayush Patel have really done a great job leading this team, and we are excited at the prospects for our season.”

The team plays Metea Valley at West Campus April 25.