Seniors receive plaudits for scholarships, awards

Antoinette Lobello, Perspective Editor

The class of 2017 were able to be recognized for their accomplishments at the 37th Scholarships and Awards Night on May 10.

Scholarships and Awards night is to honor the graduating seniors for their various scholarships and class distinctions.

“I think it is really, our students do a lot of wonderful things here, a lot of great accomplishments,” said Joseph Ziemba, event organizer. “So it is just one of many ways the school and the district are able to recognize our students. And also it is a nice moment for, yes students, but also families and staff to celebrate the many accomplishments of our students.”

Part of the night is dedicated to announcing the awards the seniors have gotten.

“There is a variety of awards, some of them are more group awards,” Ziemba said. “When I say group awards, they tend to be high volume awards with a number of students receiving them.”

There are four main group awards that are given out at the ceremony: AP Scholar, 5.0 GPA, Presidential Excellence, and Presidential Achievement.

According to Ziemba, the Presidential Excellence award is based on academics, and the Presidential Achievement award is more based on teacher recommendation, so no student can receive both awards.

However, these group awards are not the only accomplishments honored that night.

“There are a number of individual recognitions, and they can be anything from if students have received scholarships from colleges, or universities, other organizations–they’ll be recognized on stage individually as well,” Ziemba said. “We also are very fortunate the Lake Park Educational Foundation does a number of scholarships as well as even some of our feeder schools to parent teacher association’s scholarships, [and] things like that.”

The ceremony was held at West Campus at 7 p.m.

“Anyone is welcome to go,” Ziemba said. “Obviously, the students who are getting honored received invitations, families, staff. Certainly the other students are welcome to go as well. Really anyone in the community is welcome to attend.

“We are fortunate to have a lot of support in the community,” he said. “That’s where a number of the scholarships come from. We are very fortunate to have that support system at Lake Park.”