Boys volleyball in winning season, headed for Regionals

Antoinette Lobello, Staff Reporter

The Lake Park Lancers Boys Volleyball team is making a name for itself as the team is 31-1, at the time the Perspective went to press.

The Volleyball team is currently best in the state and has only lost one game in the division. However the coach, Timothy Murphy, does not let the ranking get to the players’ heads.

“We try not to pay attention to rankings,” he said in an email interview. “Although, I am thrilled with the team’s hard work and success. We take each day one at a time and we are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.”

And how he does that is by reminding the players of why they are there.

“We tell the team, ‘It is great to believe that you are the best team in the state, the hard part is coming every day and practicing like you have something to prove’,” he said. “‘COME IN EVERY DAY TO GET BETTER’.”

However, that doesn’t mean the coach is any less proud of the team’s record.

“Not only are we finding success on the court but also sounding success off the court,’’ he said. “All seven seniors are college bound and a few are moving on to play at the next level. They are a great a group of guys! We have many personalities that mesh together to form the team that we have. I won’t change anything about our team. Most importantly all of these young men are good people. Which is something that I take the most pride in.”

The players currently continuing on to play volleyball are Jack Fischer and Justin Yost for Aurora University and Nick Martinski is an uncommitted D1 recruit according to the coach.

At the beginning of the season, Murphy was concerned about some things.

“Injuries are always a concern and we try to give players a rest when needed,” he said.

But now, with the playoffs starting in a few weeks, he is confident in the team’s chances at state.

“I believe that we will be playing volleyball on the final Saturday of the season,” he said. “We are a team that is determined and dedicated. Never underestimate a group that possesses those characteristics and harnesses them in the right direction. I know that the team’s overall goal is to win a state championship and bring a trophy back to Lake Park.”

The next game will be the Regional Semis at Larkin High School on May 23 at 5:30 p.m. against an undetermined team.