Girl’s tennis win at Glenbard East shows strong start to season

Seth Caines, Staff Writer

The girls tennis team at Lake Park High School has had a tremendous season so far this year.

Score wise the team has done well this season. In the eyes of the coaches and the athletes, the athletes have been doing exceptionally.

Though in tennis it’s hard to gauge specific performance since players compete in dual meets, Lake Park plays most of their duals in the conference. The Lancers do have some non-conference dual matches here and there, there are also saturday invites and quads.

Based off of that it’s hard to find an exact record, but within the DuPage Valley Conference there are a lot of challenges.

This year the team had a big win at the Glenbard East invite, with a first place finish.

Part of the reason for this strong performance is the many returning strong players.

Ben Hussey, Head Tennis Coach, said “As a whole team we have improved for a couple reasons, for one we have five of our strong returners coming back from last year at the top positions, including: Nina Pasquini, a state qualifier, and Maeva Casey who play doubles together.

“Also we have Nancy Cozzi and Alexis Belmonte who are playing together and were state qualifying together in doubles. Also in addition we have two new freshmen this year that fill our one and two singles spots and adds depth to our program, Analissa Cruz and Angela Pasquini,” Hussey said. “And for 3rd and 4th doubles we have returning players plus we have two new kids–Christina Paskon and Stephanie McComb, so basically we’ve improved since last year because we have a better team with a more solid playing experience.”

Casey said her season had gotten off to a promising start.

“So far this season I have had a record of 2-10, so my doubles partner and I have lost two matches and won 10,” Casey said.

But all these wins did not come easy. The players had to work very hard to get to where they are now.

“I’ve been taking lessons,” Casey said. “Not only did I go to my tennis lessons but also over the summer my friends and I would practice in the tennis courts.”

“I think that everyone has done very well this season,” Team Manager Tabshir Rizvi said. “I feel that this is the best that our team has been doing in a really long time, especially our doubles teams, which have been very impressive.”

During the season the girls practiced a lot. The coaches tried to show new techniques and practiced with the athletes.

“Every year I try to incorporate new drills and new ideas,” Hussey said. “Something that I always try to develop. One thing that I try to make sure to do regularly is to get lots of repetition of basic shots so that we can get lots of quality hits. Also I try to incorporate my stronger players to make sure they are grouped with one another so that they can increase their level of competitiveness and drive so they don’t get stagnant or bored during practice.”

“During practice whether we’re running drills or I’m practicing with them, we’re always doing something,” Rizvi said. “It can also improve personally”

The girl’s tennis team’s next home game is Saturday at 9 a.m. against Maine South High School, Oswego East High School, and Schaumburg High School.