Lancers Against Cancer group works to raise awareness

Source: National Cancer Institute

Source: National Cancer Institute

Maria Cieslarczyk, Staff Reporter

As many people know with the coming of fall and the changing leaves, October left its colorful mark in the Lake Park community. However, Halloween and Stranger Things 2 are only two of this year’s October highlights.

October is officially known and recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. According to U.S. Breast Cancer Statistics, about 1 in 8 women living in the U.S. will develop breast cancer over the course of her lifetime. This is roughly 12 percent of the U.S. female population.

Ribbons, posters, shaved heads in solidarity: all of these measures aim at raising awareness before all else. Even financial donations can take a back seat to simply making more people understand how widespread cancer and its effects are.

Many Lake Park sports teams and extracurricular clubs recognized the importance of this month. The football team even dedicated the theme of a game as a “pink-out” in which audience members and players wore the color pink as a symbol of support.

Lake Park even has its own club dedicated solely to this cause: Lancers Against Cancer. This organization helps to spread awareness about the disease and helps support cancer victims and their families in the community.

Senior Holli Chandler joined the organization as a freshman and said cancer’s prevalence isn’t always fully grasped.

“Though many people know of cancer and how it affects people, not many people realize the individuals it may affect, such as teachers and students. I’m not just raising awareness for women with breast cancer around the world, but also people I talk to and connect with each day.”

Currently, Lake Park has many students and teachers who know people or have themselves been diagnosed with a form of cancer.

“These reasons are why Lancers Against Cancer is so important to me,” Chandler said. “I enjoyed coming together with my friends to help spread awareness for cancer.”