Lancettes excel at state tournament

LP sent the Lancettes off to state with a spirit march the Thursday before.

Grace Biernacki, Staff Reporter

The Varsity Lancettes’ precision, dedication, and passion throughout their eight-month season has paid off, starting with their second-place win at Sectionals, held at Mundelein High School on January 20th. Their placement sent them to State, which began Friday, January 26th at the Grossinger Motors Arena in Bloomington.

The girls, who completed their intricate jazz routine, made the top 12 on Friday and advanced to the finals on the 27th, bringing home an incredible fourth place finish.

The Lancettes’ success didn’t begin at Sectionals and State, either. Both the JV and Varsity teams earned many wins at several competitions throughout the season for both their lyrical and jazz numbers. At the DVC Conference, held at Wheaton North on January 11th, both JV and Varsity placed first for jazz.

“I think we have grown more confident this season in our dances and in our team as a whole,” says Kelly Hartnett, one of the captains on Varsity. “(Head Lancettes Coach Julie) Astrouski has pushed us to reach our goals, with the ultimate goal being state.”

As Perspective went to press, Varsity was rehearsing for their last exciting competition, the National Dance Team Championship, held February 2nd-February 4th at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida.

The girls will be competing their jazz and poms numbers on February 3rd and, just like the State competition, will need to advance from the preliminary round in order to qualify for a title.

This is the first time the Lancettes will be competing at Nationals since 1998. In order to be eligible for the competition, a high school dance team must earn a superior trophy at their summer UDA camp (held this past year at NIU July 24th-27th).
The team has done numerous fundraisers throughout the year in order to cover some of the costs.

“The girls have had to work hard and be extremely dedicated to perform as well as they have,”said Astrouski. “I’m so proud to have watched them leave it all out on the floor and do their best.”

If you haven’t seen these amazing girls perform yet, it’s not too late. You can catch them at halftime at numerous basketball games throughout the next month, including senior night on February 16th.