LP Choir impresses audience at concert

Emily Reilly, Staff Writer

The Lake Park choir department graced the stage with a diverse range of songs on Tuesday, February 27th.

The concert consisted of four different choirs, both from East and West campus. Samuel Baker, the choir director, and Charles Moon, choir pianist, selected and arranged the pieces from classical to jazz that were part of the concert.

Typically leaning towards a classical feel, this winter concert included songs such as jazz tune Down By the Riverside and spiritual song Swinging Sweet Chariot.

“In the West Mix Choir, we sang many traditional pieces, such as God Bless America and Shady Grove,” said Brooke Heitman, choir member and senior. “The piece that I conducted was Shady Grove, which was pretty complex due to its seven-part harmony.”

Mr. Baker performed on the banjo, accompanying this Appalachian folk song.

In regards to instrumental performers, the Jazz trio, consisting T. Duncan Parker on the piano, Tyler Stewart on the drums, and Anthony Rinaldi on the bass accompanied the choir. Percussion ensemble under the direction of Kyle Johnson.

There were many soloists that contributed Tuesday night, including sophomores: Olivia Hahn, Gabriel Williams, John Bialek, Juniors: Clarissa Consoli, Sophia Zoltek, and Kayla Rosecrants, and seniors: Alexis Isbell, Nicolette Pilalis, Grace Biernacki, Holli Chandler, and Taylor Grubb.

The audience had positive reactions to these talented students.

“I thought all the soloists did an excellent job. Their individual parts stood out, but made the songs powerful as a whole, especially when they combined choirs,” said audience member and senior Ben Herring.

The next choir concert will be held on May 1st, 2018 in the West