Go learn sign language

Maya Stawarski, Perspective Editor

Out of the 50 million or so children and young adults attending schools in America today, about 3 million have a hearing loss.

With the vast majority of these people currently attending a public school, simply put, it’s a disservice when teachers, students and the institution at large are unable to communicate with them.

And yet, that’s mostly how it is. Today, we have the technology to communicate to anyone we want, such as the hard of hearing community; however, it isn’t always quick and easy to be able to communicate with those of the community if the technology isn’t in the right place at the right time.

As someone who works in retail, I talk to a lot of people regarding their shopping choices, etc. Every day is a normal day at work, until I stumble across somebody who is deaf and with whom I can barely communicate. Though the moment may not come often, it is still important to include the hard of hearing community into our daily lives.

Kyle Holliday, a junior at Lake Park High School, is a member of the deaf community, for members of his family are deaf. He is able to communicate using sign language, and he feels everybody should learn to do the same for the better of the community.

“I feel that everyone should learn sign language. Not just for the deaf, but it’s a better way for people to communicate, and in a way, it’s safer,” said Holliday.

Lake Park High School should definitely include a sign language elective to expand the different ways to communicate with others.

“I believe it should be an elective at Lake Park, because why risk taking a language class that may never benefit you, when you can easily communicate with the deaf?” said Holliday.