Track team gears up for state, sets goals for season

Seth Caines, Staff Reporter

The Girls and Boys Track and Field teams have both had tremendous seasons, with the boys going to the Dupage County Track meet— in which many of the athletes did well, and the Varsity Girls placing second in the Dupage Valley Conference meet for Varsity. The Fresh/Soph girls placed first.

As the girls wrapped up their conference meet, they ended with Varsity placing second in Varsity and first in JV. There were many notable achievements made at this meet. Senior Maya Risden broke the conference record in discus, throwing a whopping 120’ 4”. Junior Stephanie Montenegro made a new personal record in discus, throwing 126’3”, and senior Allison Mack made multiple personal records by hitting 15.36 seconds in the 100 meter hurdles and 46.95 seconds in the 300 meter hurdles.

“I’m so proud of all the girls this season” said pole vaulter Martha Ewuoso, junior. “Everyone is doing great this season.”
The boy’s track team just recently went to DVC County meet at Naperville Central High School. Both the Fresh/Soph team and the Varsity team both did very well, as there were many personal records set.

Sophomore pole vaulter Zach Frye matched his PR at 13’6, which is state qualifying height, making him the top ranked sophomore in the state.

Senior pole vaulter Tommy Paprocki set a new personal record at 15’6” ranking second in the state. The frosh/soph 400 meter relay team of Keyionta White, Marty Becker, Aren Zotaj and Dishann Russell sped to first place, and the varsity 400 meter relay team of Adam Wiatr, Eddie Blackwell, Solomon Sangobowale and Paprocki captured second place.

Varsity Track and Field athlete and Junior Dewayne Givens said,  “As the season is ending everyone is starting to improve a lot, which puts lots of the athletes in a better position for the conference, sectionals, and state meets.”

As the season is at its peak, we see how the girls and guys handle the stress of competing.

Givens said, “The competition gets tough and stressful, but the good athletes know how to use the stress to their advantage and perform their best. It gets hard at times but we know how to get through that stress.”

The stresses of track are due to the competitive atmosphere that both the girls team and the guys team not only puts during competition but also in the practices. The teams practices are very intense, as they usually start their practice by warming up and doing plyometrics, followed by the team splitting up and the athletes going to their separate events. After the different athletes go to their separate events to practice they reconvene to do lifts.

One way the coaching staff spurs motivation is with its Sword and Shield awards for top varsity and JV performers. This week, freshman Vanessa Sanchez won for her performance in the 400 meter, 800 meter and mile relays, while senior Allison Mack won for her double PR performances in the 100 meter hurdles (putting her at 16th place in the state) and 300 meter hurdles.
As the Perspective went to press, the Lancers were preparing for the state meet on Thursday, May 10.

Boy’s Track and Field Coach Jay Ivory said “We have gaps in certain events that we need to work on filling.  We want to be a well rounded team, so some sacrifices have to be made.”