Addams Family wows audiences

Christiana ruth Gatbunton, Staff Writer

From April 26th to April 29th, the Lake Park Theatre Department put on its last production of the year.

The Addams Family Musical was a spooky and witty show that drew out a full crowd every night filled with laughter and even standing ovations. The musical was directed by English teacher Sara Keith, who previously directed the musical Annie and many Lake Park contest plays that made it to the IHSA state theatre competitions. The Addams Family was another huge success that she can put under her belt.

The students involved in the show learned a lot from being in the show and enjoyed the full experience, from daily rehearsals to each exciting performance night. “My favorite part of The Addams Family was meeting so many new friends that have become such a big part of my life,” said Kayla Rosecrants, a junior who played the eccentric 102 year old Grandma. The cast got to form close bonds over their shared passion for being on stage, fear of hepatitis, and hatred of allergy-causing cats.

This particular show also came with a lot of craziness. The freshman playing Gomez Addams, Colin Payan, lost his voice due to an allergic reaction from a cat on opening night. Despite this unexpected turn of events, the show went on and was very successful with senior Michael Pavone filling in as the lead actor. “The main thing I learned from being in this show is that being allergic to cats is bad. Love you Colin,” said Ben Herring, a senior who played the extreme-conservative-turned-poet father of Wednesday Addams’ fiancé.

Some other important lessons were learned by the cast from being in this show.

“I learned the importance of taking time to be passionate in an activity and all the upperclassmen taught me something about the value of my theatre family,” said Brian Provenzano, a sophomore who played Wednesday Addams’ love interest.

The Addams Family was a hit with parents, students, LP theatre alumni, LP staff, and just about everyone who came. “I’m really glad I got to go tonight! The show was unexpectedly funny and I really enjoyed it,” said Maggie Sampson, a junior who attended the Saturday night performance of the show.