Poetry Club welcoming new, old members, planning performances

Riley Ellison, Staff Writer

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? As school starts once again, Poetry Club opens its doors to new members, with its next meeting on Wednesday, Sept 26 after-school at West Campus, followed by one Oct. 3 at East.

From limericks to sonnets, all kinds of poems are welcome to be shared in a supportive environment of fellow writers.

“It’s a safe place to share and write original poems,” said sponsor Jennifer Heyen, English teacher. “We’re looking for students who enjoy writing and performing pieces to a small group of fellow poets. We love hearing original pieces and offering feedback to each other.”

“Poetry is a way to express you voice about your emotions and current issues,” said Josephine Cloud, the other sponsor to the club.

Lauryn Chajon, a member of the club adds, “Poetry Club is an environment I would recommend to anyone who needs someone to hear what they have to say through their own art style, and make no judgements.”

This year, the club also hopes to form a Poetry Slam team to compete in friendly competitions and possibly go to Louder Than a Bomb, the largest youth poetry festival in the world that’s based in Chicago.

Also, any original pieces have the chance to be published in the yearbook with Montage.

Julie Talarico, sponsor, said, “We welcome poetry and any other type of creative writing in Montage. Any writings that you do for class and for fun, we also accept.”