Lake Park hosts German exchange program

German exchange students in front of Lake Park East Campus

Ana Tellez, Staff Writer

For the last 3 weeks, 18 students and 2 teachers arrived from Helene Lange Gymnasium in Hamburg.  They stayed with Lake Park students and teachers; during that time, they attended classes, participated homecoming week, and went to Chicago cultural field trips. Each student is partnered up with a Lake Park student to stay with; this includes following their schedule, riding their bus, and hanging out doing different things outside of the school day. Later in June of 2019, Lake Park students will then go to Germany to see what it is like over there.

Anna Hahnen, an exchange student, shared a difference she saw between Germany and America: “In classes in Germany, we stay together the whole day with the same class. We also have two primary schools, 1st through 4th grade and 5th to 12th grade… I like it better that way in Germany, but I like the school spirit in the United States better because it is like a family.”

“It was all just big when we arrived. I thought it would be strict- but it was easy to get though” said Katharina Meinass, another exchange student. She was grateful for how friendly the exchange partners were “and [her] exchange partner even made a poster for [her]”.

Meinass also mentioned how she really liked the passing periods after every class, “They’re like breaks, so it is a nice way to walk around and you can check your phone messages. For our breaks in Germany, we just sit down and wait where we are.” Meinass brought up how she preferred the working part in Germany because there is a lot more partner/group work than individual work like here in the U.S.

Noah Böker said one of the biggest differences was all the cars: “You do a lot more walking to get to places in Hamburg…The biggest differences in schools were that sports are integrated into schools, unlike Germany, there are just private clubs and none in school.” He also mentioned that he feels as if you can identify and connect with the teachers more in the United States.

Lake Park students will be headed to Germany in July as part of the exchange and will be staying in Hamburg for a couple weeks.