Poetry slam coming to East Campus

Bailey Rezman, Perspective Editor

Got anything to do the day before Thanksgiving Break? Well now you do. Lake Park’s poetry club will be having a poetry slam on November 20.

Poetry club is a place where students can express themselves through creative writing, and which highlights the talents of many students. The club is run by English teachers Josie Cloud and Jennifer Heyen. The club meets very few times a month, in which members read and review each other’s work and provide feedback.

“Poetry is a way to express yourself and explore your emotions and (the experience makes you) really vulnerable,” Cloud said. “It has the power to people together for an overall shared passion of creative writing.”

Creativity is key and students perform their original pieces for the other members. Following this, the piece can be analyzed in order to help the member improve for future meetings.

The club will be having their very own slam for the members to be spotlighted for the creative writing but will also be themed around Thanksgiving and thankfulness.

The slam, at East Campus only, gives English classes a chance to watch their peers perform their very own poetry.  The slam is not excluded to members only, anyone can come and perform, not only poetry but even original songs as well. Past performances saw students and teachers bring guitars and other musical supplements to accentuate the experience.  

There is a plan for a West only poetry slam in December.

The club hopes to create new buzz for younger members and to highlight the talents and the passions of Lake Park’s very own. Member Riley Ellison said she joined poetry club because “ I enjoy writing poetry, I think it’s a great way to express my ideas and it’s nice to be able to share them in a supportive space of fellow writers.”