Lake Park Soccer plans more momentous seasons, like 2018

After record-matching 2018, soccer aims to keep momentum heading into next season.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brook Wang-Swiontek, Staff Writer

Soccer fever seemingly swept into Lake Park over the course of the last few weeks as the Lake Park boy’s soccer team made an exciting march toward state and the IHSA tournament.

After an incredible regular season in which the Lancers won the DuKane Conference, the team carried that momentum into the postseason and the IHSA tournament.

Grayden McClellan, Lake Park junior, takes pride in his opportunity to play a role in the successes of this record-matching season.

“I loved being able to be apart of this family we developed as a team. I knew I could count on every single one of [his teammates] on and off the field, they were more than just teammates throughout the season, they were my brothers as well,” said McClellan, describing the role of the togetherness shared by the team.

Although the team ultimately fell short in the state series, falling to Naperville 1-0, the players and coaches have a lot to be proud of. This season’s team finished amongst the greatest Lake Park soccer teams in the history of the program.

The success of the team rallied the entire school, with many otherwise casual fans throwing their support behind the team.

“Being involved in a sport that doesn’t necessarily get the most recognition throughout our season, getting to see the entire school hop in and bring so much love to the program was by far the most amazing thing to see as a player and students of Lake Park,” said McClellan, talking of his feeling in being involved in such a movement.

As this class of seniors of 2019 exits on a high, the program prepares for a future without many influential players and the weight of attempting to recreate the successes of this season.

Mclellan said, “We have a lot of spots of hard work and commitment to fill from our seniors next season, but we have some very talented players ready to start putting in their time next season to develop another strong team in hopes to go just as far, or better in the years to come.”