Lake Park Theater captures wonder of love in winter play

Alex Tsymbalisty, Staff Writer

On Thursday, December 13th, Lake Park Theater will begin its production of the Winter Play. This year, Lake Park Theater will be performing Almost Maine by John Cariani.

According to Erik Uppling, the director of the winter play, Almost Maine offers a unique look on the intricacies of romance.

“Almost, Maine is a unique show about finding love, losing love, and that magical moment between two people.” said Uppling.

What really separates the play from previous productions is the structure.

According to Uppling, “the play is written in a series of vignettes, or short ten minute scenes. The play takes place over a ten minute period in a small town in northern Maine that if you tried to find it on a map, you wouldn’t.”

But, despite this structural twits, the play still manages to convey what makes falling in and out of love so special. “What the audience gets to see is that magical moment when people fall in love, fall out of love – a theme that has been written about since Shakespeare wrote of the magical moment when Romeo, disguised, saw Juliet for the first time and fell in love at first sight” said Uppling.

But the play wouldn’t be complete without the right set. In order to capture the winter wonderland of Maine, the crew had to get creative with their set design.

The man behind this set design was Brian Wussow, the tech director working on Almost Maine.

“Mr. Wussow, tech director, has created a magical world for our characters to inhabit.  Just wait until you see our stage. The East Campus auditorium has literally become the northern woods of Maine complete with seeing the northern lights” said Uppling.

Almost Maine opens Thursday, December 13th at 7:00 pm and will run on Friday, December 14, 7:30 pm, and Saturday, December 15, 7:00 pm.