Boys track prepares for invitational this weekend

Seth Caines, Perspective Editor

The Boys Track and Field team has had a tremendous indoor and outdoor season thus far, with the boys having many PRs and having many new placements in the LPTF top 10 lists.

As the boys wrapped up their indoor conference meet at Batavia High School, they ended with Varsity placing sixth and Fresh/Soph placing fourth. There were many notable achievements made at this meet.

Senior Michael Shuff and junior Zach Frye placed first and fourth respectively in pole vault, and senior Adam Wiatr placed second in both the 200 meter and 55 meter races.  

Wiatr’s 55 meter performance earned him the Number Five spot on the LP Top 10 list.

Varsity track athlete and senior Dewayne Givens said, “Everybody has worked super hard this season and it shows.”

Throughout the season, all the athletes have worked hard towards making new PR’s and working their way towards the Outdoor Conference championships.

“This new conference is tough because we have some new competition,” said Givens, “The team has been working hard to try and face new competition.”

As the season is at its peak, we see how the guys handle the stress of competing, as they try to perform at their best.

Givens said, “The competition gets tough and stressful, but the good athletes know how to use the stress to their advantage and perform their best. It gets hard at times but we know how to get through that stress.”

The stresses of track are due to the competitive atmosphere that the team not only put during competition but also in the practices. The team practices run daily, as practices usually start by warming up and doing plyometrics, followed by the team splitting up and the athletes going to their separate events. After the different athletes go to their separate events to practice they reconvene to do lifts.  

Through the motivation and determination of the athletes, the team has lead victory after victory as they are closing their indoor and outdoor seasons.

The Lancers are now preparing for the Glenbard West Invitational on Saturday, April 27.