Broadway Night charity event spotlights talent at Lake Park

Anishi Patel, Staff Writer

Every young actor dreams of walking down the Red Carpet in dazzling attire. This year, Lake Park’s Thespians brought that feeling to the Dice Auditorium with the first annual Broadway Night.

The stage was set with a sleek grand piano, scattered rose petals, and a streak of red down the middle for the singers to perform on.

The idea was created by Ashley Kuril and Clarissa Consoli, two members of the Thespian Board. They hoped to give Lake Park students a chance to showcase their talents with their favorite songs.

Each performer chose a solo, duet, or group piece from a Broadway or off-Broadway musical to sing for
the audience. Students sang recent Broadway hits and classics, ranging from Hamilton to Phantom of the Opera.

“This kind of experience is not always available to kids in high school,” Consoli said.

With limited roles in each performance, it can be difficult for many students to get a chance at the spotlight. Broadway Night gives that chance to students who want it.

Broadway Night also served another purpose. Student volunteers set up a concession stand and photo op
on the Red Carpet. All proceeds from the event, including donations, were donated to the Young at Heart Senior Pet Rescue.

This organization was created to house and care for senior dogs and cats who were left in shelters with various medical inhibitions. Up until recently, the charity was completely foster-based, meaning all animals were sheltered in the homes of volunteers until they were adopted.

Currently, Young at Heart is building a facility to permanently house animals with specific health issues. In total, Broadway Night raised $244 for Young at Heart Pet Rescue.

“I was so blown away by people’s generosity,” Burkhardt, a performer and longtime supporter of the
charity, said after the show.

Kuril and Consoli hope to continue Broadway Night as a student-run show and charity event.

“I’d also love to see skits and dancing and people playing instruments in the future too,” Kuril said. “I really think events like this evolve and adapt to the interests of the students in theatre for that year.”