Girls Track and Field takes the “dub” at Conference Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Haifa Sahouri, Staff Writer

Lake Park Girls Track & Field sparked a great amount of fear among the Dukane Conference teams at last Friday’s Conference championship meet.

Coming in second place with 116.5 points, only 14.5 points away from walking off with the first place title, Lake Park’s Varsity team made quite a statement. Hosted by Geneva High School, the Inaugural Dukane Conference conference championship featured Batavia, Wheaton Warrenville South, Wheaton North, Geneva, St. Charles East, Glenbard North, and St. Charles North High School.

Although Sectionals is next Thursday, some of the athletes just couldn’t wait to score some state qualifying times. Among these athletes include many of this year’s graduating seniors: Dominika Baranska, Stephanie Montenegro, Andie Granskog, and Paulina Madro. This being their last conference together, they made it worth their while. The seniors, however, aren’t the only ones that proved they had what it takes to go to state; freshman Paulina Lucer and juniors Julia Kurek and Nicole Tarpley made the cut as well.

The day of the meet included a series of unexpected turns that took the athletes by surprise. From the sub 40℉ weather to the intermittent pouring rain, the weather led many of the girls to feel discouraged.

“I knew the strong winds were going to slow me down and make me do bad in my race,” said junior Maria Angela Cardone.

The girls, however, didn’t allow the conditions to inhibit their athletic performance as more than half the team went home with some hardware around their necks.

Head Coach Jeff Helberg himself said, “I could not be more proud of the effort that the girls contributed that day. They deserved this.”

Helberg, along with assistant coaches Ian Smith, Alaina Argianas, Rich Larson, and Michael Amerlan were big contributors to this win. Although Helberg will sadly not be returning as a coach next year, he established a name for himself in the LPGTF legacy and will always remembered as a key asset to the success of the team and the athletes for years to come.

Sectionals this year will be hosted by Glenbard North and is less than a week away. The athletes’ performance at that meet will determine if they’ll be going to Eastern Illinois University for the state meet. From the looks of it, Lake Park Girls Track seems like they’re going to make their mark on the Glenbard North track, but will Eastern Illinois University be painted in Lancer blue? I guess that’s for Thursday to decide.