Children’s classic play to take the stage at LP

Alexis Abbott & Sophie Rimer, Contributing Writers

This year, Lake Park’s Children’s Play is an adaptation of the classic children’s book, Miss Nelson is Missing by Harry Allard and James Marshall. 

Miss Nelson is the nicest teacher in the whole school, but she just so happens to have the worst behaved class in the school. Miss Nelson never complains or asks the children to stop. When Miss Nelson goes missing and is replaced by the meanest substitute teacher, Viola Swamp, the children do not know what to think! Viola assigns uncontrollable amounts of homework and brings a no-nonsense approach to the classroom. The students learn lessons of appreciation and respect as they set out to find their beloved Miss Nelson … but will they ever get her back?! 

Lake Park High School will be presenting Miss Nelson is Missing on October 10 at 7 p.m. in the Michael Dice Auditorium.  Admission is free to everyone. 

Director Sara Keith, English teacher, chose this play because it was one of her favorite childhood books and the script focused on the transformation of the students. 

“The cast is exceptional and a pleasure to work with,” she said. “I appreciate how well they work together, take direction, and make strong choices as actors.”  

The cast shared their opinions on the show and gave a quick description of their characters.  Abby Manning who plays Miss Nelson and Miss Viola Swamp said, “It’s a lot of fun. I love the cast, there are a lot of really great people in it. I love my character because it feels like playing two different characters–it’s so much fun playing such a split character.”

Roan Griffin, who plays Mouse (Morris) said, “So far the show is different from the ones I’ve been in before. I like working with the cast and everyone is really helpful.

“My character (is) really immature and loves being the center of attention,” Griffin added.

Kyle Freeman (Raymond) said, “It’s a good show, everyone works well together. My character Raymond is a smart-alec, he’s smart to the point where no one likes him.” 

Rylee Fulmer, who plays Phoebe says, “I love the show, I’m so grateful that I can be a part of it and get to work with so many talented kids.  My character is kinda nerdy and tends to take the side of Raymond. She is very overdramatic and always sick.”