Former activites director takes on principal duties

Sahana Garrett, Perspective Editor

This fall, there’s been a new face occupying the principal’s office.

And now that it’s October, our new principal has hit his stride.

Dominic Manola was eager to start his career this year and share his dream of helping students prepare for the future. Six weeks in, he’s still going strong. 

A former activities director and a social studies teacher, Manola has always enjoyed working with young minds and helping students find their potential. He’s proud to be the new principal of Lake Park and is a firm believer in the school motto of “Involvement Matters. Kindness Matters. You Matter.” 

Manola wants to provide as many opportunities as possible for students and staff to get involved in and out of the classroom and recognize everyone’s individuality.

Over the summer, Assistant Principal Ian Smith left for a new job, and then-Principal John Gouriotis stepped in to fill that job. This was when Manola applied and was appointed by the Board of Education. 

He admits that it was a fast transition, but said his five years at Lake Park and the relationships he has made with students and staff have benefited him in making sure everyone feels supported. While working at two separate campuses presents some challenges, Manola emphasized the administrative team’s assistance. 

Manola’s passion for doing what’s best for students is evident, as is his willingness to help his colleagues and other faculty around Lake Park.

“It’s a fast-paced world that’s changing every day,” Manola said. “And I want to help students navigate it.” 

Manola is glad to be continuing to work with students in Lake Park and is taking charge of events in the Lancer community. He recently worked with staff and students on the Flags for Roselle committee during their effort to place 300 flags around the campus in honor of the lives lost on 9/11. It is clear to many that Manola has a passionate devotion to the community and his work that he hopes to continue as principal.