“One of Us is Lying” deserves its sequel

Haniyah Imran, Staff Reporter

“Six hours and five minutes from then we were heading to detention. An hour later, he died. Seventeen years, gone just like that.” Based off of the popular 1985 movie The Breakfast Club, One of Us Is Lying is a Lincoln Award-winning mystery book written by Karen M. McManus published in 2017.

Karen McManus earned her BA in English from the College of the Holy Cross and completed a Masters in Journalism from Northeastern University. Her work has been translated into more than forty languages. She is also the author of the New York Times and international bestselling young adult novel, Two Can Keep a Secret.

The story of One of Us Is Lying is about five teenagers at Bayview High who earn detention—for something none of them did—on the same day for the same reason. Only four of them come out alive. The story starts by introducing each character with a typical stereotype, already implanting assumptions in the reader. McManus takes all the high school stereotypes—the golden boy, the brains, the perfect girl, the bad kid, and the despised-by-all but adds a compelling twist to this seemingly played-out set-up. The way the author builds suspense while crafting a captivating tale of intrigue and still manage to tie all of the loose-ends together for a truly satisfying conclusion is what makes One of Us Is Lying a great novel.

After the book’s success, McManus decided to publish a sequel called One of Us Is Next. This book hit the shelves on January 7, 2020, and has been highly-anticipated throughout the reading community.  The novel is about an anonymous person who starts texting truth or dares to the high school. If truth is picked, or no answer is received, one catastrophic secret of the person is revealed. Otherwise, they are forced to choose a dangerous dare. McManus once again weaves an intriguing story with a brand new but equally clever and interesting set of teens who get themselves trapped in a grippingly crooked mystery.